History

A cemetery created for the community

The Astor-Astor Park Cemetery was donated by William Astor, founder of Astor in the 1880s, for the use of residents of Astor and Astor Park.

William Astor, grandson of John Jacob Astor, purchased 12,906 acres along the St. Johns River in March 1874. Along with his business partners, he established a town first called Manhattan and later renamed Astor. The community included a church, school, and general store. Some of the land on which the cemetery stands became known as Astor Park.

When William Astor died in 1894, the land passed to his son, John Jacob Astor IV, who died aboard the Titanic in April 1912.

The New Section

In 1977, Astor resident Patsy Tatum donated additional land to the cemetery. This area, now known as the “New Section,” more than doubled the size of the original cemetery. Patsy Tatum died in 2023.

Maintained by volunteers

The cemetery remains a free community benefit for eligible residents. It is not a perpetual-care cemetery, and there is no permanent fund for maintenance. The eight-acre property is sustained by donations and volunteers who mow, trim, clean, water, plant, paint, and care for the grounds.

The cemetery association is a nonprofit corporation led by unpaid volunteer board members and trustees.

Ethnographic study

Learn more about the original historic section and what it reveals about the people and development of the Astor community.